Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Craft day at school

Me and my little assistant (my daughter)

Earlier this month I organised a craft day at my daughters school. As I have mentioned in my earlier posts "Dog House from a recycled box" and "Making dogie with simple shapes", they were teaching kids about Dogs and being a team player. Teachers and I had prepared/cut all the required things during the week. Believe me 10 classes in 1 day is a lot, so the day was dedicated to making dog houses (class teachers did the dogies from shapes themselves as per my samples).


Kids enjoying the activities

In Kindergarten class and Pre-K class we (me and the teachers) divided kids into smaller groups and got them to do several activities. We got them to cut some shrubs, bones etc to decorate the dog house. They learned to use a punch to make shapes, we made flower shapes for decorations. They divided work amongst each other like one will apply glue on the box, another would paste the tiles, 3rd would cut the excess off etc. That not only helped them take turns and do every activity but taught them how to work in a team. All groups came up with a name for their dog houses, which is also an exercise in itself. We made doors and windows as per what they thought was required in them (glass for light, door knobs for opening the door etc).


Kids enjoying the activities

In classes with younger kids I directed the activities with kids like by applying the glue and asking them to make a pattern on the roof with colorful tiles. Everyone got turns to do their bit. Needless to say we had a blast. Best part was 2 days later when the school displayed all the creations in the lobby for all the parents too see. Kids who participated in activities would take their parents to the dog houses excitedly and show them what they did. It is such a great feeling to have kids enjoy themselves while learning. Also the sample dog house is actually home for a small cat now. It gives me so much joy that I can't even express.


Dog houses made by kids

What kids learned from making Dog houses:
  • Cutting
  • Pasting
  • Pattern making
  • Punching
  • Importance of different elements of a house
  • Teamwork (by dividing work and coordinating amongst each other)
  • Patience (by waiting for their turns)
I also have to thank everyone who reads this blog and leaves such lovely comments. I really appreciate all the support.

No comments: