Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Hello World



Few years ago (actually 4 yrs ago) I learned I am pregnant. Along with the joy of the news came a sinking realization of being Clueless when it comes to kids. I had no idea what to do, how to take care of newborns or kids in general, what to buy, where to buy it from etc. (u get the picture rite.. now multiple it by 100, that's how clueless I was).


I had never ever taken care of a kid, leave alone a newborn. Closest I came to playing with a child was in Boston (where we lived before coming to Atlanta). A friend of mine there was open enough to let me TRY and play with her 2 yr old son. I remember learning a nursery rhyme from her that she used to sing to him all the time (my 1st nursery rhyme). I used to be surprised on how she remembered so many of these rhymes from when she was a kid and admired her for the ease with which she handled her toddler.


When I learned about my pregnancy I was scared and confused and lost to say the least. I turned toward Internet and numerous books on What to expect etc. Quite informative I would say they were (You can find links to the websites and books at the end of the article).
But I learned most from a friend here in Atlanta who had a 6 month old when we met, and she shared everything she knew with me. She even let me feed her 6 month old (at that time it was a very big deal, trust me). By the time I gave birth to our daughter I was much more at ease.



1 week old Saanvi

I sometimes wonder what I would have done if she didn't share her knowledge, or people who write all the informative articles won't be so open about teaching others through their experiences. I would say all the experienced moms (and some dads) out there were my source of information. Now I am fairly confident in my abilities as a Mom. And I believe it is my turn to share my experiences, successes and failures as a gratitude to all who have helped me and are helping me still to learn and improve.


In this blog I will share any kind of creative way to teach kids. Be it academics, manners, sports, day-to-day activities or chores. I know so many creative friends who invent new ways to teach their kids and I hope they will share their stories here as well. I believe fun is the best way to motivate kids in doing activities and learning. So I hope this blog become an encyclopedia to fun and creative methods of teaching.


I would love for anyone and everyone out there to share their experiences/stories of their methods. I will share them on this blog.


Informative books for new moms (or to be moms).
 Some great websites for new moms (or to be moms).
Some great books for moms with kids 2 and above.


Hope these links are helpful. Keep reading and sharing.

No comments: