Friday, May 6, 2011

Teaching ABC's


First twelve months after giving birth to my daughter my focus was largely on taking care of her, we did do the reading aloud, listening to rhymes etc. But immunizations, starting solids, motor skill development like turning over and crawling etc were the biggest concerns. Apart from the physical developments I was always concerned about the mental development of my daughter. Research show that the first five years of life a child develops 90% of their adult-size brain. And children may fall behind in both academic and social skills if they are not exposed to the right kinds of intellectual, emotional, and physical stimulation. (Talk about pressure eh!!)

So I started looking for various creative and out-of-the box teaching methods along with the tradition methods of teaching.


We all know that first step towards reading and writing is Letter Recognition. I wanted to surround Saanvi with a variety of activities and books based on alphabets to make her familiar with them. We had books, foam letters and numbers, alphabet silly bands, magnetic letters, puzzles, blocks etc.



Bath time Foam letters were the biggest success in teaching her letter recognition. Using Foam alphabets and numbers, bath time was fun and educative. We played with those foam shapes everyday for months. And every time she remembered some new letters and numbers and colors. Hunting for letters in the bath-tub and then pasting it on the tiles was fun for her. We also practised sorting out colors in the process.

I used to think she will be bored of doing the same activity everyday. But to my surprise she loved the predictability of knowing what activity we will do during bath time. She would jump into the bath-tub and pour out all the letters in the tub indicating me to start playing. Later I read a research that showed that kids react differently to Repetition than adults. For them repetition isn't boring because each time they do a familiar activity they experience it in a completely different way. First she learned the names of the letters, then she learned to associate the name of letter with its appearance, then the sequence of letters (reinforced by ABC song and books).


Another toy that helped Saanvi to associate letter with their name is Leapfrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Alphabet Set
This toy is very multisensory -  auditory, visual (color/letter), and tactile.
We pointed out letters in rooms, outside, in books, catalogs, shop fronts, signs, anywhere and everywhere. We stamped letters on paper reciting their names, questioning her and asking her to help us figuring out what alphabet it is. 'Super Why' is one of our favourite shows which helped her pick up on alphabets as well.

Some of her favourite books for ABC's are
Some informative articles and website:

 Things I have learned from the process and articles:

1. Keep it simple, keep it fun.
2. If a child gets bored, move on to another activity.
3. Surround kids with activity-rich environment.
4. Read aloud regularly, kids like a routine.
5. Let them lead the activity.
6. Most importantly have FUN.

What is the favourite toy or activity your kid prefers for learning ABC's?

Was this article helpful?

2 comments:

Henna said...

Good Work Divya. Now you can not only be V's aunt but be my agony aunt too!!

Along with V, I too find myself reaching milestones of sorts meant for a mommy, one day at a time. Some days are more frustrating & some more joyful than others. While there are his achievements i pride myself upon at times, somehow i end up shifting my focus on what he hasn't learnt yet for a toddler his age. That being said i am very cautious & conscious in my approach & actions (atleast i try hard) to keep "my mommy anxiety" limited to myself & not let that spill that onto him.

The recent thing which has me ticking me all the time is how do i get him interested in books. I have brought him few books which do grasp his attention mommentarily but then he's off to being the baby, which is fine. I know he will come around & be interested sooner or later.

What i am really struggling with is when i go to buy these books, DH & I argue all the time, with him saying V is "too young" for some books ( & No, i am not buying Harry Potter or Playboy for that matter. So far i have got books with animal pictures, open/shut flap books, numbers & word books with pictures) But since not all the books mention the age appropriateness & the fact that V is interested in those for few moments only & also DH's opinion thrown in the mix, makes me wonder, am i really reaching for books which could infact be a little too ahead for his age? Am i the reason y V is not keen to go beyond flipping pages of a particular book ? Maybe, maybe not is what i always end up with. May be you could shed some light if u went through the same dilemma & how you got S interested in reading. What are the beginning signs which show they are paying attention or getting interested ? Also have you ever experimented with other cost efffective means of getting books aside from book stores, online (amazon) & libraries (book sale in libraries & borrowing) ? If yes, what are those?

Divya Rohatgi said...

Firstly Thank you for the encouragement. I don't know if I can be so helpful but I will definately try.

Secondly I have be mullying over your questions for over 10 days and wanted to give a reply that will be helpful than just saying yes I went through it.

So here is the article I wrote inspired by your questions. I hope I helped more than confusing you.

http://mommiepedia.blogspot.com/2011/05/choosing-books-for-kids.html